Sidor

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

What a waste!

 I've heard about a married couple here in Sweden who doesn't want a garbage can. Simply because they rarely throw something away. As I remember it, their total waste during an entire year was easily fitted into one little plastic bag. What they did with the rest of their stuff`? Well, they composted and recycled what they could, and fixed what was broken. I wish I was more like that. We would have a much cleaner and prettier environment if we all did like them!

Well, at least I have made a small contribution. Can you see what this is? It's the broken upper part of a shoehorn. The part that has a hole that makes it possible to hang it somewhere, and thus keep track of it. But ours is broken. And hard to find, since we have nowhere to put it! Besides, it has some really sharp edges up there too. I was just about ready to throw it away to get a new one, but then the crochet-part of my brain started ticking. Maybe it could be fixed...


And of course it could! Maybe not the most stylish crochet you ever saw, but it's certainly doing its job! I had to glue it to the shoehorn to keep it from sliding off, but you see no sharp edges and now I can hang it. Yay! And it is prettier now than when it was unbroken. At least I think so. And it works as a soft handle too. Perfect!


See! Now we will always find it. And my husband will hopefully stop putting it in my wellington boot 'cause that's where he found it... We played that game for a while. Someone thought my boot was the perfect place for it, I slightly disagreed since I used my boots almost every day and it got a bit annoying to always find the shoehorn there. So I put it leaning on the shoe rack, then someone used it and put it back in my boot "where it should be". Annoying! 


Well, maybe not a huge contribution to the environment, but we take one step at a time, don't we? And it got me thinking twice about throwing things away that actually can be fixed.

2 comments:

Fanny said...

That's pretty! But I'm curious about that couple you mentioned, that don't throw anything away... Where did you read about them? How can one not produce garbage, I mean what do they do of empty milk cartons and other types of packaging? Or isn't that counted?

Nilla K said...

I think I read about them in a magazine some years ago, probably Allers or something like that. The story was that they didn't want to pay for having a garbage can by the road, since they didn't use it. They only needed to throw away one bag a year, and wanted to bring it to the dump themselves. But you are not allowed to take household garbage in your car to the dump, you have to pay the fee and let the garbage truck take care of that. As I said, they composted a lot, I think they had a wood boiler where they burnt some stuff, and they recycled packages of all kinds. That's about all that I can remember about them...

Post a Comment