Sidor

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Toddler's fingerless mitts

Thought I'd write down the pattern for the fingerless mitts I made for my 2-year-old nephews. This is a good place to save my patterns, I always seem to loose them in my mess at home... And maybe someone else would like to use it, even though there probably are hundreds of patterns just like this one out there.

I use sock yarn that suite 3 mm needles. I prefer to use the magic loop, but of course you could just as well use regular double pointed needles. You don't need a lot of yarn for these, I think I used about 10 grams for a pair...

I start by casting on 32 stitches. Knit in the round from now on. I then knit 2, purl 2 for the ribbing for 12 rounds. Then I knit 6 rounds.


Next round, start the increase for the thumb.
Right hand: Knit 1 stitch, increase 1, knit 1, increase 1. Place markers before and after the increase if you like.
Knit next round.
Knit 1, increase 1, knit 3 (the two increases from before and the stitch between them), increase 1.
Keep increasing every other round with two more stitches between the increases every time, until you have 9 stitches between your markers. Put them on a thread, and on next round you cast on one stitch in the place of the thumb.
Left hand: Like the right hand, but make the first increase when you have only 2 stitches left on the round. (Not necessary, it really doesn't make that much of a difference.)


Knit 6 more rounds, then 3 rounds of ribbing (knit 2, purl 2). Cast off. I usually knit and purl like in the ribbing when casting off, but of course you can just knit all the stitches.

Put the 9 stitches for the thumb on the needles, and pick up three more stitches in the gap created on the upper part of the thumb. Knit 2 rounds, make 2 rounds of ribbing (knit 2, purl 2) and cast off. Fasten all ends, and they're ready to be used!


 This was just the right size for my nephews, but they would probably fit toddlers from 1.5 to 3 years.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions, or if I wrote something wrong. Tried to put it simple enough for anyone to make them.

Finns nu även på svenska! (Now available in Swedish.)

4 comments:

Denice said...

Vad roligt, jag la precis upp ett mönster på halvvantar till min femåring på Ravelry. Jag kan inte hitta på själv på det sättet du gör, men funderar på att testa ditt mönster till min son. Mina stickade jag på vanliga jumperstickor och sydde ihop, stickade dem i moss-stickning :-)

Sara-Maria said...

Vill gärna ha mönstret på svenska! Vore kanske ngt för min vantvägrande, tumsugande dotter;)

Nilla K said...

Har översatt det, så nu finns det på svenska!

Unknown said...

Thank you for making this available. I have two granddaughters who are rather petite. So I'll make these for them and then adjust as needed. This is just what I've been looking for... a simple and small pattern to use as a jumping off place. Again thank you! I'll try to remember to post a picture when they receive them.
Blessings

Post a Comment