Sidor

Sunday, July 1, 2018

The Simple Square pattern


Hi there!

Nice to see that you have found your way to my blog. It's been very qiuet here for a long time now, but hopefully that's about to change. It's funny that my last post was about craving creativity, longing to design my own patterns. Because right now, my head is bursting with ideas, and I hope to share som new crochet patterns with you in the near future.


Today, I have a square for you. It's simple regarding its construction, but it's so much fun! It has a lot in common with your regular granny square. The pattern is easy to memorize, and you can play all day long making it in different colour combinations. You can do that with any square of course, but since this one is so simple in itself, the colours truly make all the difference.


The square in my tutorail is rainbow coloured, like the one on the left in the first picture. But you can make it in any size and any colour you like. Take a look at all the fun I've had, and hopefully you will get inspiration. Or maybe you came here with an idea? I'd love to see it! This crochet pattern is now found on Ravelry too, and I'd love you to link to it in your project.


The pattern is shared below both written and as a chart, but if you prefer a pdf with more pictures of the process, or if you want it in Swedish, here are your links:

Svenska

English (US terms)


As you can see, I've made this square in a lot of different yarns and sizes. So just pick a yarn you like, a hook in the recommended size, and get going!


About the pattern

You can repeat the last two rounds as many times as you want, to make the square the right size for you. I have made the rainbow square from the tutorial in the yarn JĂ€rbo Nova with a 3,5 mm hook, and I made it in seven rounds. It meassures aprrox. 12 cm.

Every round starts with a ch 3, which counts as the first dc. The round is always finished with a sl st in the third chain of the beginning ch-3.

I have chosen not to mention when you should cut the yarn and fasten the end, since that depends on how often you choose to make a colour change. However, I have written the pattern as if you change every round, or after each odd round. You can certainly make less changes, but then you will have to figure out where in the pattern you start and end each round.

I use US crochet terms.

Abbreviations:
Ch - Chain
Dc - Double crochet
Sk - Skip
Sl st - Slip stitch
St – Stitch

Pattern

Ch 5, join with sl st in the first ch to form a ring.

Round 1: Ch 3 (first dc), 2 dc in ring, *ch 3, 3 dc in ring*. Repeat from * to * two more times, ch 3. Join  with sl st to ch-3.

Round 2: Join yarn in any ch-3 space. Ch 4 (first dc + ch 1), *dc in next dc, ch 1, sk 1 st, dc in next dc, ch 1, (dc, ch 3, dc) in ch-3 space, ch 1*. Repeat from * to * two more times. Dc in next dc, ch 1, sk 1 st, dc in next dc, ch 1, (dc, ch 3) in ch-3 space. Join  with sl st to third ch in ch-4.

Round 3: If you use a new colour, join yarn in the first dc on any side. Ch 3 (first dc), *dc in ch-1 space, dc in dc* repeat from * to * until you reach the corner. *Make (2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) in ch-3 space. Dc in every dc and ch-1 space until you reach corner.* Repeat from * to * two more times. Make (2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) in ch-3 space. Join  with sl st to ch-3.

Round 4: Join yarn in any ch-3 space. Ch 4 (first dc + ch 1). *Dc in next dc, ch 1, sk 1 st; repeat until you reach last dc before corner, dc in last dc, ch 1, make (dc, ch 3, dc) in ch-3 space, ch 1.* Repeat from * to * two more times. Dc in next dc, ch 1, sk 1 st; repeat until you reach last dc before corner, dc in last dc, ch 1, make (dc, ch 3) in corner. Join  with sl st to third ch in ch-4.

Round 5: Repeat round 3.

Round 6: Repeat round 4.

Round 7: Repeat round 3.

Keep repeating  round 4 and round 3 if you want to make a bigger square.

I hope this inspires you to beatiful makes!

And if you do find something off about the pattern, or if you have questions, please let me know!


8 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this stress reliever, Nilla! Do you have any plans to include the pattern for the flower on the square in your header in this series? I really like the idea of alternating squares with a flower and those without.

Nilla K said...

Thank you for your kind words! Well, I actually finished a blanket just like that a little while ago. I wasn't a hundred percent happy with the flower pattern though, so I've been stuck not knowing how to proceed. But I'll look in to it! If you want to see the blanket, it's on my Instagram and Facebook page.

Unknown said...

These are beautiful and thank you from Boston, MA for sharing your pattern.

Nilla K said...

Thank you! 🌾

Anonymous said...

thank you

Anonymous said...

Hi! im 11 years old and am confused on round 2 when you said "in ch-3 space, ch 1" :) im not sure if this blog is still alive but might as well try (im so exited to make this granny squareee) love the blog xx

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful! I am newer to crochet and am a visual learner. Is there a video of this pattern? I have. Quite learned how to read patterns yet.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nilla , I was wondering what did you use to block your squares. They are wonderful. I thought about investing in their products. However they are pricey. Do you know of or will you share your techniques?

Post a Comment