Sidor

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Broom stick for the tired

I have learned a new technique today, broom stick crochet. Not hard at all! I would like to use it for a pair of wrist warmers, but I would have to stitch it together, and I don't like to stitch things... So we'll see about that. Maybe there is a way to do it in the round?


Not that I needed a new project, I have a ton of unfinished ones by now! And others that I really should get started on. So this was completely for my own pleasure. I needed to activate myself and do something fun, after spending several days on the couch, to tired to do more than watch TV or play with the phone... 

I had to see the doctor last week, and among other things they checked my thyroid gland (sköldkörtel, in Swedish). I asked them to, since a doctor told me ages ago that we should keep it under supervision. Then we all kind of forgot about it. But this time I thought I would mention it, and it turned out to be a good decision. Because it almost didn't work at all anymore... The doctor said I must have been having problems with it for a long time, for it to get this poor.

The thyroid produces hormones that controls how quickly the cells burns energy,among other things. With my low levels of hormones, my body has been using the energy so slowly that the cells haven't been able to function normally. That is why I am always so tired, why my memory and speed of thought has decreased. It can also explain a lot of ache  in muscels and joints, cold feet and hands, stomach problems... 

Well, you get it. I haven't been well in many ways, and this is the explanation for a lot of it. And now I need to take hormone pills, and they are the reason for me beeing so tired. I have read that they might have the opposite effect to bwgin with, since the body is so used to low levels of hormone it stops producing when it suddenly gets higher levels of hormone in the blood. It will probably get better as the body gets used to the new levels, or as we increase the dosage of medicine. 

But this far, it has made me sooo tired... To tired to knit on my black shrug, that I haven't even showed you. I hope I will have energy enough to keep you updated, it has been a little crazy around here lately. And I really want to finish something soon! :)

Now, I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me because of all this, 'cause I don't. I am actually happy to finally have a diagnosis that can explain my problems, and that I can get help to feel better!

Wishing you all the best, until we get in touch again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got the correct diagnosis, and I hope you feel better soon! I know what it's like to be tired all the time and, well, it blows ;) I'm here for you!
xo,
wink

Post a Comment