Sidor

Friday, March 2, 2012

Shirt + curtain = dress?

My hands and arms have been complaining a little lately. So I thought, maybe I should do something else, not just crochet or knit all the time? Perhaps my hands would like that? So I did. My husband had a few shirts with worn out collars, but apart from that in very good shape. I took one, cut off arms and collar and got going!


This is quite an easy project, once I get started. I'm just so nervous about using the scissors, so I have been thinking long and hard about what to make of this shirt. The only thing I knew was that I wanted it to be different from the last one I made.


But I never thought I would do this... :) Inspiration, I guess. I dug out this old curtain. I bought it in a second hand shop some time ago. You might recognize it from my needle case.

 A little curtain around the neck and arms, a piece of elastic around the neck too...


A little more curtain for the pockets, and pieces of one of the arms... I was thinking about making the entire pockets in the curtain fabric, but I didn't have enough. But you take what you have and make the most of it!


 And a little ruffle at the bottom. I think that's about it. No, that's right. Since the elastic around the neck would make the buttons useless (or at least impossible to open up all the way) I sewed it shut.


So here it is, in all its glory, my second shirt-dress! All summery and airy, and I know a girl who is eager to wear it, even though she refused to try it on when it was finished. :) I guess she's tired after a full week in school, and chose the TV before mum's business... 


But when she does wear it, I will surely let you see! I hope it fits her well (I'm pretty sure of it, since she's been trying it on along the way) and that she will use it a lot. I love when the things I make are put to use! And I really do love to recycle fabrics like this, starting out with a shirt really gets my inspiration going! And the good thing is, there is a second shirt just waiting to become a dress! Yippee!

2 comments:

Julia said...

Superfin! I fortsättningen ska inga skjortor slängas, vill också sy en sådan fin klänning! :)

Marilyn said...

wow when you get going, you go!!! husband is going to have to hide his shirts or daughter will have them all!!! :):):) It reminds me of something a little girl would wear in the "pioneer" days. Next you'll be making quilts with the fabric when she outgrows the dresses!!!

Post a Comment